Keep Tools Clean & Maintained
May 19, 2020
Aluminium Doors, Sliding Folding Doors, High Quality Curtain Walling, Domestic, Commercial, Secondary Double Glazing
The old saying ‘a bad workman blames his tools’ could become a reality if tools are not looked after properly. Neglecting to clean and maintain tools can lead to deterioration and decreased function. When tools are cared for it usually follows that they are safer to use, so how can you extend the life of your valuable tools?
Whether it’s a cordless drill, angle grinder or reciprocating saw, you need to be sure it will last. Find a home for your tool, where it will be clean, secure and not in the way, such as a tool rack or shelf. Cleaning and maintaining your tools is extremely important if you want to get the best out of them.
Power tool manuals should always be read, and will offer advice such as :-
- Thoroughly clean your power tool after use, as accumulated dirt and dust may damage it.
- Keep rags handy for carrying out regular cleaning before storing.
- Lubricate tools to keep wear, tear and rust to a minimum.
- Check the tool after use to ensure non of the parts are wearing or need replacing.
- Replace parts that are worn, as they may negatively impact other parts.
- Use your tool only for the intended purpose, and don’t use excessive force.
- Make sure that if anyone else uses your tool they know how to operate it safely.
Power tools need careful handling so:-
- Do not use a power tool in wet conditions as electrocution is a major risk.
- Do not use a tool which is not functioning properly, get it repaired.
- To avoid accidents, check tools before allowing anybody else to use them.
- Accidents may happen even to the most careful of us, so it’s a good idea to keep a first aid kit handy.
Rhinos Plant Hire, have a vast range of plant machinery, tools and equipment maintained to the highest standards for your project in Braintree.